Popular website IndieWire has announced its list of the Best Movies of 2021, which includes productions such as The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza and West Side Story.
As we approach the year 2022, we left behind a whole year; We watched many movies, good and bad. For this reason, the best movie lists, which have become a tradition of this time of the year, started to come to light. When it comes to cinema, IndieWire, one of the leading cinema publications, was also quick to share its list. You can find the list of the Best Movies of 2021 according to IndieWire below.
At the top of the list written by IndieWire is The Power of the Dog by Jane Campion, which met with the audience on Netflix recently. The production, which includes names such as Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons, showed its potential with its performance at the Venice Film Festival, where it had its world premiere. The production, which won the Best Director award for Campion at the festival, also took its first place on IndieWire’s list.
Licorice Pizza, signed by Paul Thomas Anderson, takes the second place. The production, which is among the expected productions of the year even thanks to the name of the director, was also appreciated by the critics. Licorice Pizza, which has not yet been released in our country, seems to make a name for itself in the award season.
The rest of the list is made up of films that have been admired from both the festival season and movie theaters. In addition to films such as Titane, Drive My Car, Bergman Island and Memoria, which made a name for themselves at the Cannes Festival, there are also films such as West Side Story, Spencer, Pig and The Green Knight.
Here is the full list of 2021’s Best Movies, according to IndieWire:
1. The Power of the Dog (Direction: Jane Campion)
2. Licorice Pizza (Direction: Paul Thomas Anderson)
3. Drive My Car (Direction: Ryusuke Hamaguchi)
4. Flee (Direction: Jonas Poher Rasmussen)
5. Titane (Direction: Julia Ducournau)
6. Summer of Soul (Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised) (Direction: Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson)
7. Memoria (Direction: Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
8. The Gambler / The Card Counter (Direction: Paul Schrader)
9. The Green Knight / The Green Knight (Direction: David Lowery)
10. Parallel Mothers / Parallel Mothers (Direction: Pedro Almodóvar)
11. Bergman Island / Bergman Island (Direction: Mia Hansen-Løve)
12. Passing (Direction: Rebecca Hall)
13. CODA (Direction: Sian Heder)
14. Red Rocket (Direction: Sean Baker)
15. Procession (Direction: Robert Greene)
16. The World’s Worst Person / Verdens verste menneske (Direction: Joachim Trier)
17. The Lost Daughter (Direction: Maggie Gyllenhaal)
18. Pig (Direction: Michael Sarnoski)
19. Zola (Direction: Janicza Bravo)
20. There Is No Devil / Sheytan Vojud Nadarad (Direction: Mohammad Rasoulof)
Memoir 21: Episode 2 / The Souvenir: Part II (Direction: Joanna Hogg)
22. West Side Story (Direction: Steven Spielberg)
23. Spencer (Direction: Pablo Larraín)
24. Crazy Porno / Babardeală cu bucluc sau porno balamuc (Direction: Radu Jude)
25. Test Pattern (Direction: Shatara Michelle Ford)