The new-gen version (ray-tracing, 4K, 3D audio…) of Resident Evil 2, 3 and 7 had a lousy launch on PC. Capcom has therefore taken the decision to remove it from Steam. Explanations.
Resident Evil 2, 3 and 7 were supposed to be enhanced by their next-gen version, but on PC it was a disaster. Fortunately, Capcom was able to react very quickly, but goodbye to the promised technical innovations.
Resident Evil 2, 3 and 7, back to square one on PC
No problem for the new-gen version of Resident Evil 2, 3 and 7 on consoles, but on PC, it’s a different story. Several problems prevented players from playing it in good conditions, or even playing it at all.
First, all the minimum configuration has been turned upside down. The games no longer accepted Windows prior to W10, even though they basically only required Windows 7, and the specifics required were more substantial. DirectX11 was obsolete and DirectX12 was imperative. And that was without counting on the completely broken mods as well. A disastrous launch.
Capcom, however, corrected the situation by leaving users to Steam the ability to reinstall older versions of Resident Evil 2, 3, and 7. But suddenly, losing improvements such as ray-tracing or 3D audio.
Hello Resident Evil fans!
Following the many feedback from the community, we re-enabled the previous version which does not include ray tracing and enhanced 3D audio. Both the upgraded version and the previous version will now be available.
How to reinstall RE2, RE3 and RE7 on Steam ?
Capcom released the path to follow to go back so you can play Resident Evil 2, 3, and 7 again as normal. The time for a more permanent solution to be found by the publisher.
Here are all the steps:
1. Click on LIBRARY in the client Steam.
2. Right-click on the game and select “”Properties…””.
3. In the pop-up menu, select “”BETAS””.
4. From the drop-down menu, select “”dx11_non-rt””. (Note: password is not required.)
5. Close the context menu and let the client Steam update the game automatically.
6. Once the update is complete, you should be able to launch the game normally.
7. Please note that some game options will be reset as a result of this process.
If you wish to update the game to the new version, simply select “”None”” from the drop-down menu in step 4 above.