Given the buzz created by Squid Game in 2021, one would have thought that the Korean series had broken all audience records for the year. But in the United States, it’s actually another series that tops the most watched shows!
Unbeatable Squid Game? Well yes! A Nielsen report published by Deadline reveals that in the United States, it is another show that has obtained the title of the most watched series of 2021 on streaming platforms: Lucifer.
Originally broadcast on Fox then saved by Netflix, the series carried by Tom Ellis which ended last year at the end of its sixth season has indeed done better than the Korean phenomenon, which will also return soon for a second. season.
Amazing? Not that much because Nielsen took into account the number of episodes of the series in his calculations. It is therefore difficult for Squid Game and its 9 episodes to compete with the 93 episodes of Lucifer! It is thus no less than 18.3 billion minutes of viewing that have allowed the American show to position itself in the lead.
But Squid Game does not have to be ashamed of its figures! Far from it, even, since with a single short season, the series totaled 16.4 billion minutes of viewing, exceeding shows with many more episodes, such as You or The Crown. Note also the great success of Bridgerton which with only 8 episodes has garnered 12.3 billion minutes of viewing.
Find below the top 15 of the most watched platform original programs in 2021. A ranking very largely dominated by Netflix since only 3 series have been broadcast elsewhere: The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu), Ted Lasso (Apple TV+) and WandaVision ( Disney+).
- Lucifer (93 episodes) – 18.3 billion minutes.
- Squid Game (9 episodes) – 16.4 billion minutes.
- The Great British Baking Show (75 episodes) – 13.6 billion minutes.
- Virgin River (30 episodes) – 12.9 billion minutes.
- The Bridgerton Chronicle (8 episodes) – 12.3 billion minutes.
- You (30 episodes) – 11.1 billion minutes.
- Cobra Kai (30 episodes) – 10.9 billion minutes.
- The Crown (40 episodes) – 9.6 billion minutes.
- Longmire (63 episodes) – 8.8 billion minutes.
- The Handmaid’s Tale (46 episodes) – 8.5 billion minutes.
- Outer Banks (20 episodes) – 8.3 billion minutes.
- Ted Lasso (22 episodes) – 8.1 billion minutes.
- Maid (10 episodes) – 8.1 billion minutes.
- WandaVision (9 episodes) – 7.2 billion minutes.
- The Witcher (16 episodes) – 7 billion minutes.
Note that only views on television screens were counted.