In “Escape Game”, six strangers agree to take part in a game thought up by a mysterious company, unaware that the game could turn out to be deadly. In 2019, the film’s release was canceled in Poland after a terrible accident that occurred a few days before the scheduled date.
Escape Game: deadly puzzles
After The Curious Case Deborah Logan and Insidious: The Last Keythe director Adam Robitel goes down a notch in terror but remains in the horrific register with Escape Game. In line with The Game and Cube, the feature film released in 2019 plays with the nerves of the spectators in trapping its characters in a death trap.
Following a tense introduction during which one of the victims sees the walls of a room getting dangerously close, the film returns to the starting point of the game. In Chicago, six people each receive a strange black cube. By successfully opening it, they gain access to an invitation allowing them to take part in an escape room revolutionary thought by the mysterious Minos company. The winner will take home the handsome sum of $10,000.
Once there, the small group discovers from the reception room that they must redouble their ingenuity to cross the different levels of the game, and above all to stay alive. Taylor Russell, Logan Miller, Deborah Ann Woll, Tyler Labine, Nik Dodani, and Jay Ellis play the unlucky ones chosen by Minos in this surprise success. Shot on an estimated budget of $9 million, Escape Game reports more than 155 worldwide. After this unexpected card, Adam Robitel unveils a new murderous part in 2021 with Escape Game 2: The world is a trap.
A terrible accident in Poland
On January 4, 2019, a few days before the film’s release, five teenage girls burned to death while participating in an escape room in the city of Koszalin, Poland, to celebrate an anniversary. Around 5 p.m., the victims find themselves trapped, blocked in the room where they play when a fire has just broken out.
According to information disclosed by France info, the location supervisor cannot unlock the room they are in due to the fire. According to the autopsy report, the friends would have succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning. A 25-year-old employee of the structure is also admitted to the hospital for burns. Authorities are charging one of the owners for manslaughter and willful breach of fire safety. South West relates that he would not have set up an adequate heating system, as well as the necessary emergency exits.
After this terrible accident, the Polish Interior Ministry orders firefighters to check the hundreds of escape rooms from the country. Two days after the tragedy, on January 6, 2019, The Guardian reports that 13 establishments where safety standards were not met have been closed. Sadly echoing the situation and expected to hit theaters less than a week later in Poland on January 11, the film is not released in the cinema in the country. It is distributed four months later on DVD, Blu-Ray, and VOD.