The selection for the 72nd edition of the Berlin International Film Festival has just been unveiled. 18 feature films are in the running for the Golden Bear and the Silver Bear.
The 72nd edition of the Berlin International Film Festival will be held in person from February 10 to 20 with limited gauges, after a 2021 edition entirely online. The awards ceremony will take place on February 16 and the last 4 days will be devoted to public screenings.
18 films from 15 different countries are selected in Competition. Among them: With love and determination by Claire Denis led by Juliette Binoche and Vincent Lindon, The passengers of the night by Mikhaël Hers with Charlotte Gainsbourg, Quito Rayon-Richter and Noée Abita, the drama on abortion Call Jane by Phyllis Nagy with Elizabeth Banks, Sigourney Weaver and Kate Mara, Ulrich Seidl’s Rimini or The Novelist’s Film, Hong Sangsoo’s latest feature film.
Peter von Kant, the adaptation by François Ozon of the 1972 film by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant carried by Denis Ménochet, Isabelle Adjani and Hanna Schygulla will be screened on February 10, in opening and in competition.
Among the 18 feature films, 7 are directed by women, 8 filmmakers have already been selected in Competition at the Festival, and 5 of them have already won a Bear (François Ozon, Hong Sangsoo, Ursula Meier, Paolo Taviani and Rithy Panh ).
Many films will also be presented in preview: Incredible but true by Quentin Dupieux with Alain Chabat and Léa Drucker, Dark Glasses by Dario Argento worn by his daughter Asia Argento, The Outfit by Graham Moore with Mark Rylance, Zoey Deutch and Dylan O ‘Brien or About Joan by Laurent Larivière led by Isabelle Huppert. The latter will also be awarded an Honorary Golden Bear for her entire career.
Films in the Competition
- AEIOU – A Quick Alphabet of Love) by Nicolette Krebitz
- Alcarràs by Carla Simon
- With love and determination by Claire Denis
- Rimini by Ulrich Seidl
- Call Jane by Phyllis Nagy
- A Piece of Sky by Michael Koch
- Everything Will Be Ok by Rithy Panh
- The line of Ursula Meier
- Leonora addio by Paolo Taviani
- Passengers of the Night by Mikhaël Hers
- Nana (Before, Now & Then) by Kamila Andini
- Peter von Kant by Francois Ozon
- Rabiye Kurnaz vs. George W. Bush by Andreas Dresen
- Dress of Gems by Natalia López Gallardo
- Hong Sangsoo’s The Novelist’s Film
- One Year, One Night by Isaki Lacuesta
- A Summer Like This by Denis Côté
- Return to Dust by Li Ruijun
Berlinale Special Gala movies
- Against the Ice by Peter Flinth
- About Joan de Laurent Larivière
- Gangubai Kathiawadi by Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Good Luck to You, Leo Grande by Sophie Hyde
- Incredible but true by Quentin Dupieux
- The Forger by Maggie Peren
- Dark Glasses by Dario Argento
- The Outfit by Graham Moore